Saturday, October 1, 2011

German Road Signs

So today, we went to downtown Böblingen and had a super scary experience with driving. I wasn't even the driver, I was the passenger, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

I know I've stated before that European drivers are crazy, but lets talk about the German road signs for a bit.

Germany has some interesting words and/or signs that you have to learn in order to get your German driver's license. For instance:

 This DOES NOT mean an Australian fart, but it DOES mean exit.

This DOES NOT mean boobs in the road, but it DOES mean uneven road.

This DOES NOT mean "Oh look! Frogs!" but it DOES mean toad migration.
Note: It IS illegal to run over frogs in Germany...and kill bees.

This DOES NOT mean fence ahead, but DOES mean guarded railroad crossing.
Note: Each stripe represents 80meters (so this crossing would be 240m ahead)

These are just a few examples of the signs I had to learn before I got my driver's license. Some are pretty obvious on what they mean like the STOP sign and the pedestrian crossing, but some, are pretty strange. 

Otherwise, today wasn't extremely eventful. During our little outing, I went to my first Ikea store where we were turned away because it is apparently the only place in Germany where your dog isn't allowed. Then we went over to a local auto store where my husband has determined that he is going to be unable to get the oil that he uses for our car in this country. Next, we headed over to the pet store where our dog, Sasha, decided she needed to poop and proceeded to do so on the floor and then my daughter turned around and accidentally stepped in it. Finally, we made it over to the Apotheke (pharmacy) where I was able to get my test strips for my glucose monitor. And just a note, I was in and out of there in under three minutes, the fastest I have ever been in and out of a pharmacy in my life!

We finally made it back to post where my husband bought a bike (and all the required accessories). I wanted one, but we decided it just be best if we waited until about a year after the baby is born and buy a bike and the pull behind wagon at the same time since I am really not in any sort of condition to ride a bike right now and the baby won't be able to ride in a carrier until it is at least a year old. But, at least my hubby can ride his bike to work and ride with the kiddo (once our stuff gets here).

It seems like tomorrow I will be doing laundry again while the hubster goes and puts the new struts on the car so we can pass inspection this week...that would be nice! But, apparently, these guys that do the inspections are tough (we already failed once because of the struts), all we can do is keep trying and hopefully not spend too much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment