Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pain in the Pubic

Friday, though I wanted to get a lot accomplished, the only thing I did get done that day was two loads of laundry. On top of not feeling too well (I've been having this problem a lot lately), I admit it, I was just plain out lazy.

My pelvic pains are getting worse. It hurts to walk, it hurts to stand, it hurts to roll over. I've found that the only way I am in 0% pain is to sit with my legs elevated or lie on my back (which isn't a good idea since I am pregnant). Thankfully, my husband and daughter have been being cooperative and help me pick up things off the floor. I did call the advice nurse. So much for her advice. She suggested I go to the ER. I went last week and the ER checked and found nothing and told me to follow up with my doctor. The doctor says if I am in pain to go to the ER. I feel like I am going in circles. I just figure since I know I am not in labor, I am not bleeding, I feel the baby move a lot, that I am just going to take it easy until my appointment on the 24th. It is too much hassle to go to the ER where no one has a clue what I am talking about. But, I have done my research, and from what I have found, I probably have Pubic Symphysis Diastasis or PSD.

"Pubic bone pain in pregnancy is also know as Pubic Symphysis Diastasis. This is where, usually in later pregnancy, the hormone relaxin causes the pelvis, particularly at the pubic bone, to loosen. In general, this is a good thing as it makes birth easier for mom and baby. However, sometimes the separation is exaggerated and can become quite pain for the mother at the end of pregnancy or in the early postpartum period.

While pregnant women have been known to waddle, the relaxin and loosening of the pelvic ligaments is the reason behind the waddle. When there is too much laxity there can be instability and pain. You may notice this pain when walking, standing or trying to move your legs apart like stepping into pants or the bath tub. Most of the pain is typically centered up front in the pubic bone area, above your mons pubis (below pubic hair).

There are a couple of treatments for pubic bone pain:

1. Stabilize what you can via a pregnancy/maternity binder like the Prenatal Cradle.
2. Avoid situation that cause pain. For example, sit down to put pants on, sit on the side of the tub and swing both legs together.
3. Avoid standing for long periods of time.
4. Use a rice sock to help provide moist heat.
5. Occasionally, pain medication is appropriate and your practitioner can help you decide when and what.

The good news is that shortly after delivery you should be feeling much better as the production of relaxin stops." - about.com



The bad news is....I still have 123 days left until my due date. But, with the pains I am having, the excessive waddling, and the fact that the doctor has said (via last ultrasound) that baby is head down, this seems like the case. Doesn't seem like there is much that I can do. I have asked around on my facebook from the local mothers and it doesn't seem to be a RARE thing. Most women just have to deal with it, a couple ended up having to have their babies early because of it (not so early that the babies had to be in a NICU though). Although, with my case of pre-eclampsia (I am already showing signs and there is already trace protein in my urine), looks like this baby might be born early anyway. Pre-eclampsia was the reason my daughter was born four weeks before her due date. My doctor is aware and is keeping an eye on me. In fact, at my next appointment we get to run more tests for the pre-e. 

Anyway, Friday after I picked up the kiddo from school, one of her friends parents invited us out to dinner that night. So the hubby, kiddo and I walked through the woods to about ten minutes up the road and had a lovely dinner with some really great people. Bo had fries and schnitzel and I had jagerschnitzel with goulash noodles. The kid shared our food. German portions are really big, so we had plenty to go around. It was delicious and in the end, the kiddo had some ice cream which she couldn't finish, so I happily did for her (in the 40 degree weather). Afterwards, we walked back home in the dark through the woods. If I had been alone, it would have been quite scary (especially since there is rumor that there are wild boar in those woods). 



Yesterday, we went to the apotheke to get my prescription filled. I love have fast German pharmacies are. No waiting and I am in and out of there in a matter of seconds. It is so awesome.

Afterwards, we came back to the PX where they were having "Fire Safety Week". The kiddo got to ride on a firetruck and put out an actual fire (yea, like a five year old would ever get to do that in the "sue happy" states)! It was great! She walked away with a firefighter's hat (plastic of course) and a coloring book...on top of the sweaters we bought her from the PX. But she had a blast and that was all that mattered...oh and I finally got an iced coffee from the ice cream store. It was soooo good!! My belly was very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment