Thursday, September 29, 2011

Schniztel, Castles, and Tonsillitis

Today, my family and I went out on the SNO (Stuttgart Newcomers Orientation) tour that is provided free of charge by the local ACS (Army Community Services). Of course, we had to pay for food, public transportation, and entry into a castle, but it was well worth it and cheaper than having to hire a tour guide.

On our first stop, we went to the subway station where we got a brief explanation on how to use the subway system, amongst a bit of other public transportation. Ask me if I got all of what she was saying and I will tell you no, but my daughter thought her first subway ride was AMAZING and can't wait to do it again.

Then we stopped and had a quick snack (while still in the subway station). I grabbed a danish type looking thing filled with creamed spinach. It was surprisingly good. My daughter and husband thought otherwise, but that was fine...more for me!

Next, we headed to downtown Stuttgart and got a view of the palace where the last emperor lived for a short period. Kaiser Wilhelm II reined from 27 January 1859 – 4 June 1941 and was also the King of Prussia from 15 June 1888 to 9 November 1918. 

Emperor Wilhelm II, circa 1890

We also got to visit the market while we were downtown, which I plan on visiting more in the future. It was full of fresh fruits and vegetables along with a beautiful array of flowers and jams. It is also where the Christmas market will be held from the end of November until 23 December. That sounds exciting!

After the downtown visit, we went in Honau, Germany which is about an hour drive from Stuttgart, to Lichtenstein Castle. We ate just down the hill where I ordered authentic German schniztel, fries and a salad (shared it with my daughter who thought it was delicious) and my husband had the beef goulash which he said was quite good as well (which is surprising since he is such a picky eater).

Next, after the lunch, we headed up the hill to Lichtenstein Castle which was extremely beautiful! It is now privately owned by a nephew of the original family, but is open to the public (of course no one lives there). My daughter has now decided she wants to live in a castle someday. If she only knew how cold that place got in the winter she might decide she wants an updated version!

Lichtenstein Castle coming up the hill.

Side tower.

Fortress located further up the hill.

The mountain that the castle is built on.

View from the castle - looking down to the city of Honau, Germany.

All, in all, we had a very good day and had a wonderful time on the tour. We want to go back soon and visit again, with our camera instead of our phones, and take much better pictures. We look forward to doing it in the near future!

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with a sore throat. I thought, originally, it might have been because my nose was clogged and I had been breathing through my mouth all night, except by bedtime again, the pain had not gone away, plus, around noon, I began to get a stiff neck that is unruly. Upon further investigation, I looked and my tonsils are red and swollen with white bumps beginning to form. I have a feeling it might be tonsillitis (due to the stiff neck...that can generally tell the difference between strep and tonsillitis). I am going to call the doc first thing and hope they can get me in and not make me wait. The last thing I need is to spring up a fever with this pregnancy. Ugh. Oh well. C'est la vie.





No comments:

Post a Comment