Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Told You, Germany is Trying to Kill Us

So it has been quite awhile since I have updated and the layout of blogger has changed, so if I screw something up, I apologize in advance.

First off, Mckenna's lump on her heads turned out to be 1mm bump filled with fluid. The doctor said it is from trauma to the head, most likely from the position in utero since she was a c-section. He says that a lot of babies get it from being born through the birth canal. But, it is nothing to worry about and it should be disappear by her first birthday.

In other news, Amélie had Fifth Disease. Thankfully, by the time she went back to school (she caught it over spring break) she was no longer contagious. In case you have never heard of Fifth Disease, like me, here is a run down on what it is:

"Fifth disease (also called erythema infectiosum) is caused by parvovirus B19. A human virus, parvovirus B19 is not the same parvovirus that veterinarians may be concerned about in pets, especially dogs, and it cannot be passed from humans to animals or vice versa.

Studies show that although 40% to 60% of adults worldwide have laboratory evidence of a past parvovirus B19 infection, most can't remember having had symptoms of fifth disease. This leads medical experts to believe that most people with a B19 infection have either very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.

Fifth disease occurs everywhere in the world. Outbreaks tend to happen in the late winter and early spring, but there can be sporadic cases of the disease throughout the year.


Fifth disease begins with a low-grade fever, headache, and mild cold-like symptoms (a stuffy or runny nose). These symptoms pass, and the illness seems to be gone until a rash appears a few days later.

The bright red rash usually begins on the face. Several days later, the rash spreads and red blotches (usually lighter in color) extend down to the trunk, arms, and legs. The rash usually spares the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. As the centers of the blotches begin to clear, the rash takes on a lacy net-like appearance. Kids younger than 10 years old are most likely to get the rash.

Older kids and adults sometimes complain that the rash itches, but most kids with a rash do not look sick and no longer have fever. Certain stimuli (including sunlight, heat, exercise, and stress) may reactivate the rash until it completely fades. It may take 1 to 3 weeks for the rash to completely clear, and during that time it may seem to worsen until it finally fades away entirely.

Other symptoms that sometimes occur with fifth disease include swollen glands, red eyes, sore throat, diarrhea, and rarely, rashes that look like blisters or bruises." - kidshealth.org

There have been a total of four kids (including Amélie) in her kindergarten class alone that have had Fifth Disease so far in the past two months. Two of the kids were hospitalized.

Next up on the list of things, I have decided to start cloth diapering Mckenna. I ordered these diapers and I can't wait for them to come in. I am also planning to start cloth wipes when I start using these diapers. I even bought stuff to make my own laundry detergent for the diapers and wipes (most of the stuff...they were out of some at the commissary)! I think as soon as we are out of the laundry soap we are currently using, I am also going to start making our own laundry soap for our clothes.

Amélie had her photo shoot last Saturday. Here are some of the pictures that were taken:

My girls and I.

My beautiful Amélie.

Schloss Solitude and "Princess Amélie".

My gorgeous girls.

Sisterly love.

I am suppose to pick up the disc with all the photos on it this weekend (the ones from both photo shoots). So I will hopefully get to post those soon.

Well, for now, it's off to bed for me. I'm exhausted since Mckenna has decided that 4AM is the time she is ready to get up and play. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment